On November 12 & 13, 2016, Douglas Boyd took us on a journey of art and calligraphy via examples, demonstrations and work-along exercises. In the Letter Art Tango workshop, participants took an ordinary sketchbook and turned it into a multi-media collection of information, papers and art techniques. Throughout the weekend Doug encouraged participants to gain a broader knowledge of art in general, and helped attendees experiment with their tools and materials...and just have fun. Some of the comments from participants are listed below.
- Doug is extremely knowledgeable and has shared his vast know-how with heart-felt enthusiasm.
- Learned a great deal about the properties of different materials: pencils, watercolors, papers, erasers and the varieties available.
- Doug’s dedication, thoroughness and attention to detail makes him a most excellent teacher.
- This should be a requirement for all.
- Enjoyed learning how to add interest to letters by using variations of colors even in the same letter.
- What a fun weekend workshop! Lots of activities with different mediums on a variety of papers; in the end we had a book of papers and notes and blank pages on which to experiment.
- I loved the concept of working together as ARTISTS, in an ‘Atelier’ setting. This concept set a mood and gave participants a sense of working as artists and “being an artist.”