Saturday, May 14, 2016
Calligraphy for Sheer Enjoyment
Douglas Boyd, Guest presenter
At our May general meeting, calligrapher and instructor Doug Boyd will show us how to breathe fresh life into our favorite calligraphy style and introduce us to the potential of the world of “Letter Art.” Examples will be shown along with simple work-along demonstrations. Information on tools and materials will be shared. Learning calligraphy as “Letter Art” can be the source of a lot of fun, skill satisfaction and most of all, personal enjoyment. With this newfound way of doing things, a lot of the pressure and stress is done away with, and, Doug says, “You might just find yourself enjoying a new way to relax!”
Suggested Tools and Materials.
• Paper and products you like for lettering
• Pencil sharpener; any kind
• 12-inch C-Thru ruler or similar
• Eraser: white vinyl and/or kneadable
• Art grade pencils: HB or F; H and B
• Fine line black markers, e.g. Microns: a couple of sizes
• Colored pencils:
Sanford Verithin: light blue and medium gray plus a few other colors, such as red, orange, violet, and green.
Regular colored pencils: just a few of your favorite colors
• Water soluble colored pencils, a few basic colors OR a simple watercolor paint box
• Small to medium pointed brush, water container, and a small pack of tissues or a some paper towels.
NOTE: Bring what you have; no need to buy anything. There is no fee for this program, and everyone is welcome.